Watch Anime Online

Watch Streaming Anime Online Free - English Subbed & Dubbed Episodes

Go Back   AnimeUltima.TV Forums > Hobbies & Interests > Japanese Language and Culture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2013   #1
Veteran Soldier
is God Himself

Secret

Points: 1,288, Level: 19 Points: 1,288, Level: 19 Points: 1,288, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Chaotics is on a distinguished road
Default Kanji Apps Request

Hi, im debating buying an iphone and an android atm, get rid of this crap berry, does anyone know which ( android or iphone) has the better How To Learn Kanji apps?

I tried to do a tiny bit of research but it seemed pointless with the info i gathered. If anyone knows the "best" phone app to learn kanji please give me a bit of info. And ill look up the app.
Chaotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013   #2
Anime News Writer
Events Organizer
is I never met you, but I feel
just what you went through.

Cool

Points: 91,367, Level: 100 Points: 91,367, Level: 100 Points: 91,367, Level: 100
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
Thanked 6,426 Times in 5,606 Posts
Rami is just fucking awesome Rami is just fucking awesome Rami is just fucking awesome Rami is just fucking awesome Rami is just fucking awesome Rami is just fucking awesome Rami is just fucking awesome Rami is just fucking awesome Rami is just fucking awesome Rami is just fucking awesome Rami is just fucking awesome
Send a message via Skype™ to Rami

Well I use An Iphone and I have an app I use to learn Japanese. It has different levels of Japanese and the way it work is Like flash card. On one side there is the symbol and on the other side it has what it means in English and how to use it in a sentence. It also has audio for good pronunciation. Im sure There are apps for Kanji I mean I use one myself. I don't know about the Android, but I use an iphone and there are alot of kanji apps. Hope This Helps!!

Last edited by Rami; January 14, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
Rami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2013   #3
Paladin
is Relaxed

Happy

Points: 6,543, Level: 52 Points: 6,543, Level: 52 Points: 6,543, Level: 52
Kamisoyokaze has a spectacular aura about Kamisoyokaze has a spectacular aura about Kamisoyokaze has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Kamisoyokaze

ankidroid and ianki. Nothing better than a bit of anki :P Kanjibox for ios is also good.

Visit my youtube channel, aimed at Japanese learners ^_^
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Kamisoyokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2013   #4
Valiant Knight
is Where is my crown?

Drunk

Points: 18,616, Level: 86 Points: 18,616, Level: 86 Points: 18,616, Level: 86
Shinpira will become famous soon enough

I have an Android and my sister has an Iphone... Although there are good apps on Iphone I think it will cost money.

However on Android there is an app called JED which stands for Japanese Electronic Dictionary.. JED is based on the website Denshi Jisho which is GODLIKE when it comes to Kanji haha.

Here is a screenshot

When you click on a Kanji, it teaches you how to write it, the different types of pronunciation, the english translations and it gives you sentences examples that contains that Kanji, which are also translated in English.

It also works offline , you just need to download the dictionary to your Sd card.

Also there is another app for Android called Obenkyo which you can also use to learn Kanji but whats even better.. It includes the WHOLE text of Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese.
Shinpira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2013   #5
Paladin
is Relaxed

Happy

Kamisoyokaze has a spectacular aura about Kamisoyokaze has a spectacular aura about Kamisoyokaze has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinpira View Post
I have an Android and my sister has an Iphone... Although there are good apps on Iphone I think it will cost money.

However on Android there is an app called JED which stands for Japanese Electronic Dictionary.. JED is based on the website Denshi Jisho which is GODLIKE when it comes to Kanji haha.

Here is a screenshot

When you click on a Kanji, it teaches you how to write it, the different types of pronunciation, the english translations and it gives you sentences examples that contains that Kanji, which are also translated in English.

It also works offline , you just need to download the dictionary to your Sd card.

Also there is another app for Android called Obenkyo which you can also use to learn Kanji but whats even better.. It includes the WHOLE text of Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese.
I have JED, I find it not that nice to use and it lacks a lot of words, generally not impressed by it.

Old February 4, 2013   #6
Valiant Knight
is Where is my crown?

Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamisoyokaze View Post
it lacks a lot of words.
Do you have it for iphone, or android? Did you install the 104 mb of the dictionary? I think its 104.. but I know the small dictionary is around 60 mb, maybe you have that one.

oh and if the words you are looking for are lacking, its probably because its a word that has been made after the app, since the app doesn't get updated to include new words :P
Old February 4, 2013   #7
Paladin
is Relaxed

Happy

Quote:
Do you have it for iphone, or android? Did you install the 104 mb of the dictionary? I think its 104.. but I know the small dictionary is around 60 mb, maybe you have that one.

oh and if the words you are looking for are lacking, its probably because its a word that has been made after the app, since the app doesn't get updated to include new words :P
I had android and dled all the dictionaries, the word wasn't new either, I forget what it was however. The BEST dictionary (out of apps, both android and ios, paper, website and electronic) is Midori for ios, in my opinion, looks great, works perfectly, you can draw the kanji in if you don't know how to type it, it's never not had a word I've searched for, shows conjugations and sentences for words, stroke order for kanji, names, places, everything.

Old February 4, 2013   #8
Valiant Knight
is Where is my crown?

Drunk

Quote:
I had android and dled all the dictionaries, the word wasn't new either, I forget what it was however. The BEST dictionary (out of apps, both android and ios, paper, website and electronic) is Midori for ios, in my opinion, looks great, works perfectly, you can draw the kanji in if you don't know how to type it, it's never not had a word I've searched for, shows conjugations and sentences for words, stroke order for kanji, names, places, everything.
Wish I had an IOS device... lol , but is it free ?
Old February 5, 2013   #9
Paladin
is Relaxed

Happy

Quote:
Wish I had an IOS device... lol , but is it free ?
No I think it was 69p, so basically free, there are better free ones on ios too, but I don't carry round my ipod or ipad so on the go i mainly have to use my android phone :L

Old February 13, 2013   #10
Commoner

Points: 1,374, Level: 20 Points: 1,374, Level: 20 Points: 1,374, Level: 20
NomKnomski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The BEST dictionary (out of apps, both android and ios, paper, website and electronic) is Midori for ios, in my opinion, looks great, works perfectly, you can draw the kanji in if you don't know how to type it, it's never not had a word I've searched for, shows conjugations and sentences for words, stroke order for kanji, names, places, everything.
From what I have seen from the app's page, Midori looks very similar to the 'Japanese' app by renzo, with the exclusion that renzo's app has an integrated flashcard system of 4000 kanji and the ability to create custom flashcard lists quickly, which is always nice. Bit more expensive though, at 5GBPbut well worth it imo.
NomKnomski is offline   Reply With Quote