LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2012   #101
Adept Paladin
is (ᵔᴥᵔ)
♬✔

Secret

Points: 1,303, Level: 20 Points: 1,303, Level: 20 Points: 1,303, Level: 20
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
catperson55 is a splendid one to behold catperson55 is a splendid one to behold catperson55 is a splendid one to behold catperson55 is a splendid one to behold catperson55 is a splendid one to behold catperson55 is a splendid one to behold catperson55 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to catperson55
Arrow

THE EUROPEAN UNION’S trade commissioner has asked its highest legal authority to rule on whether the controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is in breach of EU law.

Karel De Gucht, the Belgian in charge of European international trade policy, said he and the other 26 commissioners had “discussed and agreed in general” with his proposal to ask the European Court of Justice to rule on the treaty.

The Luxembourg-based court will be asked to rule on whether the controversial treaty, which has provoked worldwide outcry, might pose a legal risk to the rights of European citizens and businesses.

Specifically, the court will be asked to examine whether ACTA is “incompatible – in any way – with the EU’s fundamental rights and freedoms, such as freedom of expression and information or data protection and the right to property in case of intellectual property.”

Although the European Council has already adopted ACTA on a unanimous basis, individual member states cannot proceed to ratify the agreement before the European Parliament approves the treaty itself.

MEPs are likely to vote on the matter in June, but it is now expected that this vote would be pushed back to the autumn if the ECJ has not issued its ruling by that time.

“I believe the European Commission has a responsibility to provide our parliamentary representatives and the public at large with the most detailed and accurate information available,” the commissioner said.

“So, a referral will allow for Europe’s top court to independently clarify the legality of this agreement.”

De Gucht said he shared the concern expressed by European citizens about the potential ramifications of the deal, which requires individual countries to offer equal protection and enforcement procedures against digital copyright infringement as they do to stop the spread of counterfeited physical goods.

for more here -.-
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
“Often times, people simply deny the existence of what they do not understand, and anyone who tells them otherwise is a liar. What they don’t know stays ‘unexplained’ and they are happy with that.-Yuko Ichihara
catperson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #102
Private
is not lucky. lucky is for the
weak.

Awesome

Points: 2,961, Level: 33 Points: 2,961, Level: 33 Points: 2,961, Level: 33
AliceNingen is on a distinguished road

the western world's becoming increasingly stupid and paranoid. they need to cut all these sopa/pipa/acta crap and focus more on their failing economy. what a bunch of idiots. lol
AliceNingen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AliceNingen For This Useful Post:
PirateGoddess (March 23, 2012)
Old March 23, 2012   #103
Avenger
is the Queen Of All Existence

Godly

Points: 30,439, Level: 100 Points: 30,439, Level: 100 Points: 30,439, Level: 100
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
hotaru251 is a splendid one to behold hotaru251 is a splendid one to behold hotaru251 is a splendid one to behold hotaru251 is a splendid one to behold hotaru251 is a splendid one to behold hotaru251 is a splendid one to behold hotaru251 is a splendid one to behold hotaru251 is a splendid one to behold

but the millionaire singers, moviestars, companies are making hundreds of millions and we are robbing them by using the interwebs....yeah

and im sorry i dont buy stuff b4 i know if its worth my hard earned $$>.>
hotaru251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #104
Adept Soldier
is Born --> Rebelled -->
Looking For Purpose

Crazy

Points: 3,375, Level: 36 Points: 3,375, Level: 36 Points: 3,375, Level: 36
Phantom_Writer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotaru251 View Post
but the millionaire singers, moviestars, companies are making hundreds of millions and we are robbing them by using the interwebs....yeah

What you are forgetting about are all the people who work and don't become famous. The engineers, the writers, the secretaries and such.

I think they really need to redo copyright laws, but at the same time not make them imbalanced. For example, we love this site and the anime it shows, but essentially we all are taking from the writers, artist, and the companies that allow them to be more than some random guy or girl who posts their stuff on DeviantArt or even better: Youtube, trying to create a audience.

Phantom_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #105
Adept Soldier
is Born --> Rebelled -->
Looking For Purpose

Crazy

Points: 3,375, Level: 36 Points: 3,375, Level: 36 Points: 3,375, Level: 36
Phantom_Writer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceNingen View Post
the western world's becoming increasingly stupid and paranoid. they need to cut all these sopa/pipa/acta crap and focus more on their failing economy. what a bunch of idiots. lol
The Western world's economies are mostly exporting stuff which copyright protects since manufacturing has mostly been given to the eastern world. It only makes sense for them to try this Draconian BS.

When times get tough, you don't leave anything off the table.

Phantom_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012   #106
Initiate

Points: 1,335, Level: 20 Points: 1,335, Level: 20 Points: 1,335, Level: 20
Danra1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceNingen View Post
yeah, we arent idiots. but i agree the goverment is.
Danra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012   #107
Veteran Soldier

Annoyed

Points: 2,469, Level: 30 Points: 2,469, Level: 30 Points: 2,469, Level: 30
nekogami is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotaru251 View Post

Singers and bands make most of their money from live concerts. They don't make much from cd sales, only the fat cat company execs profit from those sales. The music industry has a long history of screwing over the artists as much as they can get away with.

...Then the industry takes the extra money they swindled from the artists and makes huge "donations" (aka bribes) to government officials to get them to try to pass idiotic laws like sopa/pipa/acta

For the singers/bands:
Music shared on internet = more fans = bigger& more concerts = more money for artists

We were discussing it on another forum a while back. Swiss courts ruled file sharing was legal as long as it wasn't harming the industry, and they also ruled there was enough evidence that showed it was not harming the industry. I guess Switzerland actually looked at the evidence, and didn't just make decisions on how big a bribe they received

I swear, the US govt and all its branches are just totally corrupt
nekogami is offline   Reply With Quote