Watch Anime Online

Watch Streaming Anime Online Free - English Subbed & Dubbed Episodes

Go Back   AnimeUltima.TV Forums > Main Category > General Discussion > Debate Area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2012   #51
Avenger
is absently humming to herself..

Awesome

Points: 31,818, Level: 100 Points: 31,818, Level: 100 Points: 31,818, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Thanked 1,598 Times in 1,015 Posts
Firelily has a brilliant futureFirelily has a brilliant futureFirelily has a brilliant futureFirelily has a brilliant futureFirelily has a brilliant futureFirelily has a brilliant futureFirelily has a brilliant futureFirelily has a brilliant futureFirelily has a brilliant futureFirelily has a brilliant futureFirelily has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Firelily Send a message via Skype™ to Firelily

Awwwwwwww cool, I always wanted to be short

But seriously, this is a silly idea. There is no telling what the side effects of messing with peoples DNA like this would be.
It might even be the thing that killed us off as a species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine View Post
We can have cats shrink and stay kittens forever. Yes yes, I'm a genius.
Cuuuute... If we do this with dogs too, I am in favour

Last edited by Firelily; April 17, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Firelily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firelily For This Useful Post:
Maes_Hughes (April 17, 2012), Shine (April 17, 2012)
Old April 17, 2012   #52
Guardian
is a big smelly willy

Godly

Points: 5,534, Level: 47 Points: 5,534, Level: 47 Points: 5,534, Level: 47
KuroShiniHentai is a name known to allKuroShiniHentai is a name known to allKuroShiniHentai is a name known to allKuroShiniHentai is a name known to allKuroShiniHentai is a name known to allKuroShiniHentai is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelily View Post
Awwwwwwww cool, I always wanted to be short

But seriously, this is a silly idea. There is no telling what the side effects of messing with peoples DNA like this would be. it might even be the thing that killed us off as a species.

Cuuuute... If we do this with dogs too, I am in favour
agreed we could end up becoming unable to procreate. now changing your DNA to improve strength, intelligence and speed is where the money is, not some leprechaun gene therapy. hmm strength intelligence and speed with a chance of becoming unable to procreate? hmm tough choice... now consider the fact i haven't been laid in over a year i'd go for the DNA change. climbing up buildings next best thing to sex... i hate the country side sometimes, not enough abandoned buildings to climb.
Old April 17, 2012   #53
Banned
is busy with w/e atm.

Awesome

Points: 41,308, Level: 100 Points: 41,308, Level: 100 Points: 41,308, Level: 100
Thanked 5,076 Times in 3,960 Posts
CureOne is just fucking awesomeCureOne is just fucking awesomeCureOne is just fucking awesomeCureOne is just fucking awesomeCureOne is just fucking awesomeCureOne is just fucking awesomeCureOne is just fucking awesomeCureOne is just fucking awesomeCureOne is just fucking awesomeCureOne is just fucking awesomeCureOne is just fucking awesome

Well so far as I can understand it, your teacher is concerned with renewable and non-renewable resources.

A number of ppl have pointed out that there should be more research into more efficient power sources or research into a power source that cant be depleted, that would be the best solution to our non-renewable resource issue.

As for the renewable resource issue such as produce, livestock, ect.. That can only be handled by proper management of renewable resources and to be honest it's a system that people can only have corrected through their own behavior as a global society, not in physical human size, because even if it did work you would encounter the same exact problem in "X" amount of years later, because of population growth (again as some ppl have mentioned)

I think your teacher, in my opinion, has suggested something very radical and dangerous for a "band-aid" solution to a problem that will just re-form even if ppl did find a way and agreed to be sized down.

Last edited by CureOne; April 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
CureOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CureOne For This Useful Post:
tritone21 (April 17, 2012)
Old April 17, 2012   #54
Master Paladin
is -insert conceited or profound
bullsh*t-

Friendly

Points: 37,568, Level: 100 Points: 37,568, Level: 100 Points: 37,568, Level: 100
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,210 Posts
tritone21 is just fucking awesometritone21 is just fucking awesometritone21 is just fucking awesometritone21 is just fucking awesometritone21 is just fucking awesometritone21 is just fucking awesometritone21 is just fucking awesometritone21 is just fucking awesometritone21 is just fucking awesometritone21 is just fucking awesometritone21 is just fucking awesome

Statistics do not prove overpopulation, but they do show higher birth rates.Changes in the gap between progress and poverty in the developing world can directly effect the estimated 680 million chronically hungry people, not altering DNA.

tritone21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tritone21 For This Useful Post:
CureOne (April 17, 2012)
Old April 19, 2012   #55
Elite Paladin
is ..is what? im none of your
concern, now live your life

Cool

Points: 15,485, Level: 80 Points: 15,485, Level: 80 Points: 15,485, Level: 80
XvoltaireX is a glorious beacon of lightXvoltaireX is a glorious beacon of lightXvoltaireX is a glorious beacon of lightXvoltaireX is a glorious beacon of lightXvoltaireX is a glorious beacon of lightXvoltaireX is a glorious beacon of light

im with hotaru on this one, i mean you really have to think about this, you are increasing transportation cost since everyone is smaller is will take incredibly long to reach distant lands. you are also raising your chances of being in danger due to certain weather like snow and small flash floods are now a threat, then you have other animals to worry about when you go out doors(i would not like to be bird food, thank you kind sir) and what will happen to those who do not wish to be shrunken?

"Nothing is perfect, see without eyes, all freedom is made, the dead are wise"
XvoltaireX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #56
Visionary
VIP
is in 1080p

Bemused

Points: 24,955, Level: 95 Points: 24,955, Level: 95 Points: 24,955, Level: 95
Thanked 2,548 Times in 1,502 Posts
Vermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Vermilion

I'd be willing to bet that, even at 6'4", I use less energy than your silly teacher does.

As I remember, there's no real evidence for or against global warming right now, and I thought that right now our biggest energy issue is our dependence on foreign oil.

I vote nuclear-power over fossil fuels, but there's a lot of false but negative stigmas attached to nuclear power that kind of hinders its development.

Instead of researching how to alter our DNA to remove genetic diversity and hamper the existence of our species, why not put that towards researching a feasible way to incite controllable fusion reactions. They're infinitely efficient and produce little to no harmful byproducts (unless you don't like Helium).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone21 View Post
Statistics do not prove overpopulation, but they do show higher birth rates.Changes in the gap between progress and poverty in the developing world can directly effect the estimated 680 million chronically hungry people, not altering DNA.
Yeah, overpopulation is silly. There is SO much more land than we're actually using with our some 7 billion people. Besides, most of those people are in Africa, and really, what do you expect in Africa?

Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vermilion For This Useful Post:
XvoltaireX (April 19, 2012)
Old April 19, 2012   #57
Veteran Soldier
is has returned to the peicful
destruction of those i distast
of

Secret

Location: hideing in the woods with slinder man waiting for you to pass by
Points: 5,031, Level: 45 Points: 5,031, Level: 45 Points: 5,031, Level: 45
Vitae is on a distinguished road

the amount of food and energy we consume isn't proportional to our size dear perhaps this would work if we were a lot like wiled animals but we aren't because we have technology. so we consume and use up a ton of energy because it is in our culture to do so not because we are all 5 ft+ in size

If I look happy I'm probably just screaming in agony on the inside.

You are not who you are raised to be nor are you who your destined to be but merely your who you want to be.
Vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #58
Visionary
VIP
is in 1080p

Bemused

Points: 24,955, Level: 95 Points: 24,955, Level: 95 Points: 24,955, Level: 95
Thanked 2,548 Times in 1,502 Posts
Vermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond reputeVermilion has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Vermilion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitae View Post
the amount of food and energy we consume isn't proportional to our size dear perhaps this would work if we were a lot like wiled animals but we aren't because we have technology. so we consume and use up a ton of energy because it is in our culture to do so not because we are all 5 ft+ in size
This might be relevant:

That's one of my favorite YouTube channels along with the PeriodicVideos channel

Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vermilion For This Useful Post:
pheon93 (April 20, 2012)
Old April 20, 2012   #59
Veteran Soldier
is has returned to the peicful
destruction of those i distast
of

Secret

Location: hideing in the woods with slinder man waiting for you to pass by
Points: 5,031, Level: 45 Points: 5,031, Level: 45 Points: 5,031, Level: 45
Vitae is on a distinguished road

it is relevant and yet it isn't because social factors are in place in humans that arn't in place with animals

If I look happy I'm probably just screaming in agony on the inside.

You are not who you are raised to be nor are you who your destined to be but merely your who you want to be.
Vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #60
Knight
is Saving the world.

Godly

Points: 5,146, Level: 45 Points: 5,146, Level: 45 Points: 5,146, Level: 45
dragnorok is on a distinguished road

Making people smaller would be the wrong answer. If it is right then midgets should be taking over the world. Thats no going to happen as they are only a source of humor. And they dont consume any less. Making us smaller through gene-therapy would ultimately lead to the regression of humanity due to so many unforeseen effects.

The answer is metabolism. To much of the food consumed goes to waste. The body should be instead made to break down the food more than most people already do.

And to better solve the food issue that is probably going to become an issue down the jolly road to the future. Would be to enforce a population limit.

But right now is energy really a big issue? Food?

Humanity is worrying about issues that pale in comparison to its greatest problem. Its-self. Humanity is starting to make little progress in fields that have nothing to do with entertainment. And seems to have taken a liking to indulging selfish acts and seems to be satisfied the way things are. So progress is starting to come to a screeching halt.

Its like the movie Idiocracy is comming true.
I can talk more later. Its time to sleep.