|April 19, 2012||#1|
Join Date: Jan 2011
Blog Entries: 13
Thanked 1,003 Times in 657 Posts
What is this new aggressive insect?
I come from southern ohio, U.S.A. and moved to florida, but still have family living there so i still visit. Last year there, during the spring, my mom and dad went to help their friends clean out their belongings in their barn and beneath their log cabin out in the woods and my mother returned with what appeared to be very large insect bites all over her neck. We presumed it was chiggers-red mites that burrow into the skin, but they typically appear in the summer, only last a few days while healing fast and go for tight areas of your body: the waste, private areas, armpits, etc and my mother had nothing covering her neck at all. To add, they last for weeks and do not heal, but instead get red and large and secrete a yellow substance almost like boils :(. We also thought they were mosquitos, but those dont bother any of us and go away in a day or two. I thought it was poison ivy, but none of it was even growing yet in the woods and that typically appears as countless yellow blisters.
Well, this year, we returned to my childhood house where my sister now lives with her husband and four year old son and helped them clean out the woods after the winter storms, mowed the lawn and towed the grass and brush early in April and the same thing happened again not just to mom but to my brother in law, nephew and me. My mom only had one on her neck this time after mowing some of the lawn. I got one on my arm after hawling all the grass and brush and trimming trees. My brother in law sustained several all over his ankle where it swelled up badly and became red and my nephew had a few on his legs and back. We tried looking up what they were, but had no luck so ive decided to come online and speak with my peers about it to see if theyve had any encounters with this alien insect and know what it is. My mothers is dried up but still red and welt-like while mine is still secreting and red and even bleeding now though i havent scratched it at all. No medicine seems to work on them either. Again, if anyone has any info on what they could be and how to treat or avoid them, please let me know. Thanx.
Last edited by KenseixHisagi69; April 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
|April 19, 2012||#3|
Honorary Staff Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hidden panda cave..
Blog Entries: 15
Thanked 126 Times in 84 Posts
I would go to the doctor and show them the bites. You guys don't get any other symptoms other than the bites secreting the liquid? Definitely get them checked out.
Where do we belong? Where did we go wrong? If there's nothing here, why are we still here?
|The Following User Says Thank You to Talluh For This Useful Post:|| |
KenseixHisagi69 (April 19, 2012)
|April 19, 2012||#5|
Join Date: Mar 2012
Thanked 3,156 Times in 2,096 Posts
Sometimes people react strongly to the presence of insect venom and protein, and occasionally our defensive cells are not readily able to combat the dirt and bacteria that the insect injects into us.
When this happens, the limb will become hot and swollen and red due to the spread of infection.
Since you are so prone to react to bites it would be wise for you to take non-sedating antihistamine tablets. Also take all possible precautions to avoid being bitten.
These include the wearing of long trousers, a button-up neck-line and socks as dusk approaches, as well as insect repellant.
Your doctor may refer you to an allergy clinic if:
A sting or bite has caused a generalised allergic reaction.
A sting or bite has caused a large local skin reaction with redness and swelling over 10 cms.
(An allergy clinic will be able to do tests to confirm which type of venom or insect you are allergic to.)